Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Um... Hi *awkward silence*

Okay, so I fell off the wagon.

And then the wagon picked up speed (having just lost a significant amount of weight) and took off, and I had forgotten to ask where it was headed, so I didn't know where to go in order to get back, and then I got distracted by all the other wagons I was trying to stay on, or to get back on, or to get on for the first time, so...... its been more than a year.

Since I last posted I got an amazing job, worked my butt off, learned a whole lot, left that job, moved to England, and I am now on the job hunt once again.

And wouldn't ya know it, turns out the wagon was headed here!

So I thought I'd come back here and try and pick this back up again with a couple of modifications.

The picture thing is out, I hate it, it makes me uncomfortable, and it gives me a reason to procrastinate ("oh shoot I forgot to take a picture, can't blog tonight then"). Also, Mum though still attempting to lose weight won't be a regular part of it, though she will probably get a mention, as we are oceans a part now (literally), and its much easier to keep this just about me.

What I wanted to share with you in this post is how I got back here. Since making the decision to move countries, weight loss has been a part of the discussion. Apparently its a thing that when making one big life change its easier to make another. So the plan was to go from a big, lazy Canadian girl to a fit, healthy British girl. There are inherent benefits to the move, it is so much easier walking places here, and so much to see when you do. There are also inherent drawbacks. I have been warned so many times about the notorious British diet (the fish and chips, the deep fried everything), that I was genuinely concerned about blowing up like a balloon the moment I stepped off the plane.

So weight loss was still on my mind, but not a main focus if I'm honest. It was something to think about if I had the time and I'd maxed out the number of World of Warcraft characters I could create.

What really got me back here was this guy.



Don't worry, you're not supposed to know who he is (though you might which makes you awesome!).
His name is ShayCarl, and he's kind of a big deal on the internet. He has a youtube channel called the Shaytards where he and his adorable family vlog about their life. Which I know sounds "meh" but believe me its not, its funny and sweet and endearing and like a real and good version of the soap operas I've always hated. (take a look at his vids http://www.youtube.com/user/SHAYTARDS )

I've watched him since the beginning, it's been 3 years now, and I feel like a part of the family - which I know sounds cheesey, but its also kind of the point of his vlog. I've watched his kids growing up, the ridiculous antics of super cute Great Dane Malachi, his gorgeous (no, really geeeeoooorgeous) wife Katilette have another baby, seen them pull up stakes and move ( 3, 4 times now? I can't keep track) and all manner of milestones. They are probably my favourite thing about the internet (which if you know me is a really significant statement).

The thing I've been watching him do lately is go from being what you see above to this: 


He's lost a huge amount of weight. About a year ago he decided that for the sake of his family and himself he wanted to be a fitter and slimmer person. Just recently I watched via the magic of the interwebs as he ran the LA marathon. I watched the whole process, and just thought "good for you Shay, wish I could do that."

And finally, two weeks ago, it clicked. Of course I can do that! Shay's not a celebrity, he's not some unattainable figure, he's just some dude, my buddy that I've been watching from a distance these past three years, and if he can do it, so can I.

So I'm doing it, I've got myself a cool weight loss app (its called Noom if you're interested, its really good, but its paid so it might not be for everybody) And a new attitude. I'm watching the Shayloss vids (Shay has another channel dedicated to his weight loss process) and I'm working on it. The plan doesn't go much further than that, but I think that's for the best.

I've lost 4 pounds so far ( I think anyways, they use stones here as a weight measurement so I'm still kind of confused) and I'm not sure whether I'll be blogging here regularly or not, though I'm going to try. But really I just wanted to say:

Thanks Shay.

No comments:

Post a Comment